Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: High Frequency Driver Extension

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Which of the the Altec small format drivers has the greatest amount of high frequency extension? I'm thinking an 802-8G or 902, both with the tangerine phase plug and a 34647 diaphragm. I'm wondering if I can improve upon the high frequency response of the 802-8Ds used in my A7-500s. Or, is there room for high frequency improvement in the crossover???

    Thanks All!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    The method Altec used in the crossover was to install the 30923 attenuator
    in series with the horn. This device lowered the output of the horn about
    2db in its lower range. Then by increasing your l-pad 2db, you effectively
    gain 2db in the higher range of the horn. This modification is very easy to
    build. It was used in many Altec designs. Compare the one used in the
    Model 19 diagram on Jeff's fine page
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id7.html
    to my note book scribbling of the 30923.
    http://img1.uploadimages.net/974615Altec9846-8A.jpg
    You see they are essentially the same. Even though I bi-amped my
    speakers, I left the 30923 in the circuit with very pleasing results.
    I have been wanting to study the results on my spectrum analyzer
    but it seems I'll never get around to it. Their will be a slight phase
    shift by using this series capacitor, if that is an issue with you. It
    showed up on my dual trace scope at the time I was experimenting
    and it was expected. Then implementing bypass capacitors really was the
    icing on the cake. Have fun, Art.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Altec Fan, wanted to do something similar but ended up buying a pair of Beyma CP25 SuperTweeters instead. I am triamping through a Rane 23. I think that my mids sound just a touch better because they are not working in the upper freqs. I have them crossed at 5000 and am driving them with the Sonic Impact $27.00 digital amp. Cheers.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Art,

    I understand the approach with the 30923 attenuators. I don't have any of those handy but I did find two brand new 30904 eq/attenuator modules in my box of stuff. I don't have the specs for them but they appear to be similar in purpose to the 30923. Any idea what the 30904 modules are for???

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Igor,

    I've thought about getting a Rane and doing the bi-amp or tri-amp thing. Haven't quite talked myself into it yet. But I may!

    Later . . .

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I forgot to ask.
    Can you open the box and read the component values? Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the 2 attenuators are the same. You are lucky to have them.
    They have the exact same function.
    Mine are an open circuit board
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-8a/page03.jpg
    and yours are in a closed box.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...nal/page14.jpg
    The capacitor determines the point where attenuation begins
    and the resistors determine how much attenuation. That's it.
    They must be the same.

    Use the horn wire leads (in and out) but do not use the woofer leads
    at all. Those are for a Zobel only for a 411-8a woofer.
    Its definitely worth a try. See if you like it.

    The Guys around here talked me into bi-amping,
    and I'm glad they did.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Art,

    The 30904's are just components mounted to terminal strips mounted to a metal plate, like so:

    30904 Front Panel View

    30904 Component View

    If not legible, the component values from left to right are:
    3.9 ohms 10W
    6.5 ohms 10W
    3.9 ohms 10W
    6uf 50VAC
    18uf 50VAC
    5 ohms 15W

    In comparing your 30923 drawing with the 30904 they appear to be indentical. Why two part numbers? It appears that they both are intended to help the 411-8A woofer match the compression drivers a little better.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Very good, thanks for solving the mystery. The 2 different part
    numbers is kind of strange.
    Their is one more attenuator board that I know of made by Altec.
    It was identical to ours but with only the horn circuit, on a smaller board
    and nothing for the woofer.
    Their was no part number on these but 2 of them came unattached in my speakers
    when I got them. I pretty sure these were meant to use with any 511b
    horn no matter which woofer is used. This is why I recommended
    it in the first place to improve your highs. If you try yours and like what it does,
    it can be improved even more by changing the old capacitors to new ones.
    It really sharpens up the highs. Keep me posted about what your going to do.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Art J.

    I modeled this 30923 attenuator in "Multisim 2001" to the best of my ability. I found the initial attenuation at 600 to 700 Hz to be about 9 dB with a nice gradual rise to only about .5 dB at 20kHz. This is almost the same attenuation with the same that amount of lift that I use in my model 14's. (1800 Hz crossover) With 1/3 octave warble tones, my system measures very flat up thru 13 kHz and is about 4dB down at 16hHz. I had a 10 dB peak at 1700 Hz until I installed a Zobel network. Now it's beautiful - hardly any EQ required. I use an Le value of .15 mh which is what I measured on my 902 drivers. This inductance added into the model changes the trace a little. I know that drivers are inductive, so I try to find out about what the Le really is. I haven't modified the crossovers on my 19's, yet. My model 14's were too HOT in the 2 to 6 kHz region for me. To me it was very fatiguing.

    I also measure the phase shift at crossover, it is about 90 to 100 degrees in that region, and that probably somewhat matches my driver voice coil offset.

    I will try to post some pictures if anyone wants to see what this looks like.

    Richard C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.